Monday, December 23, 2013

Inside the Industry: Cooper Klaar Interview

Back Overcrook. Photo by Brandon Miller
As the freestyle scooter industry grows, more and more scooter riders are getting the opportunity to be employed by companies.  It's really awesome to see companies giving riders a chance to work for them, because it keeps more money in scootering as well as gives riders a chance to gain experience in a professional career field.  We all dream of being a pro sponsored rider, but not everyone can or will be able to accomplish that.  Getting a job in the industry is the next best thing.  Whether it's running a shop, operating machines, filming and editing, graphic design, and beyond, there is a wealth of positions that scooter riders fill, and with Inside the Industry, I'd like to find out more about them.

The next interview is with Cooper Klaar.  Cooper is one of the NW's second generation of riders.  Over the past few years, he's really made a name for himself as one of Phoenix's pro riders, and one of the most tech riders in the sport.  From his double bar combos, to that amazing hurricane full cab to end all hurricane full cabs in his last video, Coop has proven that he deserves his pro spot and signature bars.  I knew he also works in a warehouse for a scooter distribution company, so I hit him up to get a little insight on what it's like.

Jordan Jasa:  Where are you currently located, and who do you work for?

Cooper Klaar:  I live in Vancouver, Washington and work for Gravity Group Inc.

What is your official job title, and what are you responsible for?  

Haha I don't really have an official job title, but I'm responsible for packing orders for shops in North America.

How did you first get involved with working with Gravity Group?

I have known Tom Floyd since near the beginning of Phoenix and when Phoenix and Envy began Gravity Group, Tom gave me a job when there was more work needed to be done.

What’s a typical work day like?

Drive out to the shop in Beaverton, Oregon which takes 20 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. During the holiday season I have been packaging orders with Evan Larson and Chase Robertson but usually when it's not as busy I package orders while Evan types them and prints shipping labels and Chase works in the Phoenix shop cutting metal.

So being a pro rider for and working at the Phoenix shop, do you get any special perks before the rest of the team does?  Extra input on designs, firsthand knowledge on operations, etc?

Being at the Phoenix shop just about everyday I do get to see pretty much everything first, and talk with Tom and Dan about new designs for products, but I'm sure the rest of the team is just as informed as I am haha.

How long do you plan on working there? Do you ever plan on going to college?

I think for a pretty good amount of time, and I'm not too sure what I'm going to do at this point, I'm working and saving money at this point and thinking of what I want to go to school for.

That’s good, too many people go to college without any idea of what they want to do.  So what’s the best part of the job?

It's just really great working with Evan and Chase on the daily, and working for Tom and Tony is pretty fun and lenient!

For sure.  That’ll wrap it up,  would you like to add anything else?

I think that's about it!

3 comments:

  1. What's it like working for a Chinese company? Must be terrible you were lied to for so long.

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!