Monday, August 13, 2012

When Good Edits, Go Bad.


So you’ve been riding for a while now, you’re getting pretty good, you got a pretty solid bag of tricks, so what do you do now? Make your first edit! This is a big step for any rider, because this edit is most likely going to be posted on Youtube and shown to other riders on forums and such.
 It’s usually at this point that it all starts to go wrong for most riders. This article is for riders who make “Sponsor Me” edits, and various other edits that supposedly took “Months” to film and edit. Unfortunately most of the time the finished product ends up looking like the countless amount of other videos you’ve seen. Repetitive, badly filmed, same trendy song, and the same trendy tricks. I really do wonder what it is about so many riders that think if they do this, they will be recognized as a “good rider” by any company or other group of riders.
I’ve been in the sport since 2001, and I’ve seen my fair share of edits. I’ve seen the good, and I’ve seen a lot of the bad..and I mean a lot. The worst part is that the things that make these edits so bad, aren’t secrets. Half the time I have to think the rider in the video knows he’s just filming trendy crap that everyone has seen a thousand times. Are riders afraid to break away from the mindless  group of sheep that only start doing tricks once other people start doing them too? For the love of god, don’t you all have brains? 
When you’re out filming, and you decide on a trick on any obstacle, or at any park, think about how many riders have already done that trick a bunch of times in that same spot. Then ask yourself (if you still want to do that trick) what can you do to make it better? To make it stand out a little bit more. You can do it in a line, or you can simply just try and go faster and bigger. But why would you want to do the trick the same exact way as everyone else? Do you really think that’s helping you land that super sick sponsorship, or get yourself noticed or respected? Oh, I’m sorry you might be one of those “Cool” kids, who.. “Doesn’t care what other riders think.” If that’s you, I’m sorry you continue to go and make your videos that you post on Youtube In hopes that no one sees them, cause you “don’t care” you little rebel you.
To all the “Street Riders” out there, please try and get an understanding of what riding street means before you go and make your “street edit” that you most likely only made to try and appear cool. As you sit back and bash on park riding with the only reason for doing so being that you see other riders do it too. Whatever you do, don’t depend on other street scooter edits to get your motivation, because the majority of them aren’t too good. Instead check out some skateboarding videos or bmx videos, and find the common factor in those videos. One of them being, Lines. Riders need to start doing more lines in their street videos. It shows creativity, and consistency. But if you’re going to do a line in your edit, please, don’t bother if you plan on moving at a snails pace. Almost ANY trick can look clean if it’s done with enough speed. So before you even start your line, get some serious pushes in there.
And mix it up! Seriously, a video gets really boring when the same tricks are being done over and over. Would you still watch The Walking Dead if the same thing happened every 10 minutes in each episode? I doubt it. So why would anyone want to watch an edit of the same tricks being done every other clip? Make it a point while you’re out filming to get different clips. Also try and remember that your video should have some bangers, or at least one solid banger. This is where it gets pretty vital. Tailwhipping Wallenberg was sick when Addison did it. But is it sick again when someone else does it, and uses it as their banger to their edit? Not really, just doesn’t have the same shock factor. That’s not to say it isn’t still a crazy trick. But it’s been done before, you know?. You want to use it as a banger? Double tailwhip it. The banger of your edit, is the last clip or clips that people are going to see before the video ends. That means, make it memorable! Make it something that riders are going to want to watch again, usually resulting in them watching your whole entire edit again if you threw down hard enough. So think, plan out your banger, and your most likely going to bleed a bit before landing it..so get over that.
A solid park edit is something that is really hard to find now a days. These days we see “Park Edits” that contain a bunch of air tricks, a bunch of hip tricks, maybe some spine tricks, and almost all of them being landed so low that all you get is that one clip before you’re on to the next one. For once it would be sick to see riders that know how to actually ride a quarter pipe, or hip, or spine. So that when they hit it and land a trick they actually landed high enough on the ramp to hit another ramp, and *gasp* do another trick!? Park edits have become all about hitting a quarter and throwing as many whips, spins, and combos into that one air before you hit the ground, yes the ground, not the transition. 
The worst part is, I know some of these riders can do better than that. I look at someone like Dan Holm who doesn’t get the respect he should because he isn’t throwing a million combos in one air. But you know what Dan can do? Ride his skatepark. He rides it as well as the bmx riders that ride it. That is something half of these kids that call themselves “park riders” can’t do. Because they are choosing not to. Yes Australia, I’m looking at you. You guys have an insane amount of skateparks all around you, and yet you don’t ride them. You ride one obstacle at them. Park riding doesn’t have the privilege of street riding where you can go and explore and find new obstacles whenever you want. You only have what park builders built in your skatepark. So from there it is up to you to find different lines, gaps, and transfers. Especially when you’re filming an edit. 
Overall, I just want riders to start understanding that filming a real edit in hopes of getting sponsored or having that edit be your “claim to fame” should take it a bit more seriously. Now I’m not talking about going out and having fun and filming a day edit with your friends or something. So don’t get this mistaken for me saying every time you pick up your camera you have to be filming seriously and getting solid clips. That’s not what I mean at all. I’m strictly referring to the Sponsor Me edits, and the Edits that supposedly took months for one rider to finish. /Endrant

59 comments:

  1. Good article, doubt any kids will understand or listen though lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It is rare to see a new rider come out with a sick edit, but it does happen. I've seen some unknown riders drop really awesome edits. Just wish it would happen a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single thing in this article is spot on. Especially the park rant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, if you dont like the videos, DONT watch them. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean-Yves RandriambelsonAugust 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

      You actually HAVE to watch a video before you decide whether to like it or not ! So I understand this kind of post as Steven must be asked by kids every day to watch/post their videos, that are in most cases trendy, repetive, boring and all that. The worst part is most kids have discovered scootering as it is today I mean with all those shitty videos out there. So most of them won't even pay attention to that post that are important to have in mind. About most australian edits..... the latest park edit that really got my attention was Tyler Bonner Welcome to Elyts and Jeremy Cathcart ( in which there wasn't a million tricks but at least you could actually see he knew how to ride a park and a bowl )

      Delete
  5. You wrote down the things I think everytime I watch an edit. Good job Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read half of this thinking, those stupid kids better realize this, then I noticed I am probably one of those kids. This is pretty informational and I hope that I can put my true style into my future edits. I also hope that alot of the people who read this article will think about what they can improve with future edits. Thank you for the insight and your helpful tips steven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best posts I've seen on Inside, good job Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PLEASE for the love of god, people read this article like 5 times before making an their next video/edit lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like you just wrote this to make your friends happy, and by friends i mean Kasson, Steadman, Tyler Wheeland, Jordan Jasa, and the rest of the people who act like theyre better than everyone else at riding/filming/editing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh hey you're wrong.

      Delete
    2. They do have the best riding/filmed/edited videos.

      Delete
    3. No offense dude. But you're wayyyy off.

      Delete
  10. This is really awesome and it is funny because if Jasa would have posted this there would be a huge fight already, stupid Jasa haters.

    Street riders need to realize that riding street isnt what is cool, its being creative, you can but just as creative at a skatepark finding weird gaps or awesome ways to ride obstacles that nobody has even thought about. And then there are people who say "There is no street where i live" oh my i hate it when people say that. There is always something, you arent looking hard enough. The less obvious a spot is, the cooler it will look when you do something creative on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with this but i have a problem wondering how many kids read the title of this or the first paragraph and clicked off because they're self centered and thought to themselves they're better than that or just because kids these days don't feel they have the time to read a long article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly the only thing that ever happens when a "rant" post gets thrown up on IS is that everyone agrees with Steven and then goes back to doing the same old shit as before. Since my first video that ever got on Inside Steven T has been giving me tips and info in order to better my riding and I have tried hard to take those suggestions to better my riding. Nick Darger is responsible for me hating pushing and I've taken it to heart. And as for anonymous...this needed to to be said. Whether he did it for the right reason or the wrong ones, it's still true. And I can guarantee if Steven took the time out of his day to type this up....it was for the right damn reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. straight up called out tyler garcia on the wallenberg thing hahahaha. this was a good article though, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes. Yes. Yes. beers good. and Yes! You just described what ive been trying to tell every kid and other riders. This is what Will make the sport grow! Not just the edits but shredders will finally get out of their cave and go balls out and actually improve/progress and most of all give the pros now a days to have a reason to actually try new shit and get better than being lazy and taking advantage of their sponsors! God idk what else to say, steven your honestly the godfather of scooters. haha i love how the sports goin now with kevins newest video and this. Its all going the direction we need
    -Donatelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Nick, means a lot homie. See you next month when I come down there.

      Delete
  15. Throw enough spaghetti at a wall and hopefully some will stick. I do think it is more difficult to be creative and "unlike the other guy" when your skill level isn't as high. Notice i said "difficult," not impossible. I do agree with Steven, kids don't even try to be their own rider these days. Hopefully some kids will take something away from this; and though a drastic change to the whole community may not be visible right away hopefully it can start to show little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the post steven, would love to show this to all the little kids that are all park. ive just got one thing against this, and its to do with the second last part with australians and parks. all the homies i ride with try to get the most variety in their edits, the only good spots in sydney are in the city or the more populated cities, which does take some time to travel to. would love to be in america all because of the good spots you guys have and the amount of parks. wish there was something i could show you to give you and idea. peace

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great article, ive been riding for a year now and im getting ready to start filming an edit. A lot of kids at my local park hate on me becuase i do alot of sex change tricks, yet i think they are unique and i have yet to see an edit with someone doing a sex change. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, i havent seen any videos where people do sex changes but i have seen edits with people riding switch, cant really name any riders off the top of my head though.

      Delete
    2. big ron does them :) it would be also nice to see more switch tricks in edits

      Delete
    3. big ron does sex changes? 0r switch trickss?

      Delete
  18. What I don't understand Steven is why you post so many bad videos on inside and then make a post like this. :\. You and Jordan have the power to show a lot of scooter riders how to ride but it seems you will just post what ever has been paid for with advertisements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see where you are coming from. And trust me Steven turns a lot of vids. But when a company who pays to be on this blog has a video from one of their riders he has to post it. It's promotion for that company. You get what I mean?

      Delete
    2. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. To the Concerned Father, and thanks Nick for having my back..

      But I don't really expect you to see or understand. The fact is, I do support a lot of the companies, and the riders that send in videos. What you guys don't see are the emails I send to these riders/companies.

      Explaining that if they want me to keep posting those kind of videos, the rider has got to put in a little more work.

      You probably dont understand that ISB works like a business, not just a Blog. Jordan has the pleasure of being able to still treat ISB like a Blog.. I handle all of the business aspects of keeping ISB alive, and sometimes that does involve dealing with bad edits.

      Just the way it works man.

      Delete
    4. I understand what it means, But in the end was there really a need to involve money/sponsors to a blog? I'm not trying to really hate on you steven, and this post has alot of good points, im just not understanding the whole " Hey you guys should do this in edits " thing and then post the videos you do. Greed maybe?

      Delete
    5. Obviously you clearly, Don't understand what it means lol. And Jordan and I did not "choose" to involve money and sponsors (they're called advertisers) to our Blog. They came to us, and we made the decision together years ago to start accepting advertising on ISB. I'm also not worried about you "hating on me" it's no big deal, you're clearly a scooter dad, who doesn't understand a few things here.

      When you go out as a "Concerned Father" and do your job, do you do your job out of greed? Or because, it's, Heyy.. Your job.

      And Greed? You clearly don't know me at all..because it has nothing to do with Greed.

      Read my first post AGAIN.. about why I post certain videos, and then let it process. Me posting an article trying to help kids make better edits, does not mean I boycott or don't support any edits that aren't 100% well filmed and edited. If that was the case, ISB wouldn't really have any videos posted at all would it. Most likely including your childs edit.

      Delete
    6. "Concerned Father" my ass. sounds like an angry scooter dad who had a kid who didnt get a video posted..

      dude youre a SCOOTER DAD.. where do you come off thinkin you can talk to StevenT like he has to listen to you and your ideals. Idiots are Idiots.

      Delete
    7. Jack this isn't about who can suck dick man. When is paid advertisement needed for a free website anyway? shit I've heard jasa chuckle at how easy it is to get money from this site and he cant even post decent articles. Trust me steven, i know all about shit videos and im over it, I'm completely over street elitist and park riders who ride nothing but a quarter. I'm not arguing the points you bring up in this argument. You definitely know what you are talking about, im just saying to me there was no need to involve money with a blog and i don't see how you can use the companys paying as advertisement as your defense for posting the videos you seem to not support. Just telling it how i see it steven, Keep posting because i do actually think your the only one on this site keeping it alive. - "Concerned father" ;)

      Delete
    8. Mr Concerned Father, paid advertisement is needed so I can travel places and ride my scooter, not going to apologize for that...and come on dude, would anyone pass up the opportunity to get paid to post scooter videos? No. I'll tell you right now too that I would never post a video I didn't think was good. I enjoy parts of every video I post on the site...but many of them can be improved, and Steven just told everyone how.

      Delete
  19. I agree with basically everything written in this post, Great Job on that Steven. Originality is the key to a great edit, there is no no need for repetitive and trendy tricks being copied and used over and over again. While I was in the making of my first edit that i recently released, I did my best to try tricks that you don't see to often and spent a good amount of time on it. I love watching edits where people truly try to be different like Danny Rambert or other inspirational street riders who always have different material in edits like Jordan Jasa, Matt Somers, or Isaac Miler. The only thing I disagreed with in this post was bashing on Tyler Garcias great video by discouraging his banger. Even though it was done it was insane and he had the courtesy to ask Addy's permission first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It took addison 2 days to whip Wallenberg. Tyler did it first try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addy had a pro model with stock wheels aha

      Delete
  21. Your dumb man. Most this article was on point. But when tyler did the tail whip (with permission from addy) I'm sure he was just doing it to make a point it's a dope trick and giving respect to him while proving he himself is that good also. Watch more of tylers videos and you'll see he can do original dope tricks also. It's like when a rapper remixs someone elses track. It was a dope song so they do it also.. Come on you know Tyler Garcia is a beast

    ReplyDelete
  22. i hate it when u go to a comp and someone does a triple whip air but is so low like 2 ft on a 6th quarter and someone does a double like 3 ft over coping and for some reason its no as cool as a that shitty triple

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for posting this Steven. I just made my first edit, and I focused entirely on avoiding all the normal spots - it's mainly a flatland and basic street video. I didn't make it as a sponsor video, but after a while and some good comments I though what have I to lose. I'm in the UK, there were at least two companies who emailed me back saying that the video was too technical and creative. Their words not mine. They said it wouldn't impress youngsters in the sport so I wasn't right for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Also to everyone coming to Tylers "aid"... Tyler is a friend of mine, and I'm not trying to make his tailwhip of the berg seem like it sucks.

    So you guys can stop trying to "convince" me of anything relating to his trick..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wonder if this has just reached a critical mass and pushed people over the edge, cos it has for me and we are planning a "sponsor me!" article for scootmag as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless Steven is writing it, I wouldnt bother. Scootmag writers dont compare

      Delete
    2. cheers greg

      love todd grady - scoot mag senior writer

      Delete
  26. I think Steven will always continue to post probably the most relevant and intelligent articles in the scooter world. I loved reading through every bit of this and couldn't agree more.

    With that being said I can think of kicker to flat videos (with variety and hard tricks) that are better than the unlimited hours you could watch filmed on VX's and edited "professionally" but are boring and uninspiring. I feel like sometimes a rider will get to the point where he feels obligated to put out a video, at the very least and probably 95% of the time is at least rushing it, so just films something he's not really into and it shows in the lack of enthusiasm, etc. Making a video is all about showcasing your uniqueness and what YOU enjoy when that happens the viewer can tell because it shows in the energy their video puts out.

    I just hope some people will take this to heart and think about it before just saying "true!" then filming editing and posting up the opposite in their next mini.

    - Andy B.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you.

    James Gee

    ReplyDelete
  28. you just ruined the sport

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good post Steven. You're an adult trying to reason with kids. I think that's the one of most difficult thing here.

    We're reaching the point where there are now several 21+ riders. The sport has to die or mature. Kids are gonna make kiddish videos. You just need to filter them out. If you support the videos by putting them on ISB, then more kids think that their videos need to be made that way to gain exposure. It's the old fashioned double-edged sword my friend.

    Let's be mature riders and let these kids do what they are gonna do. Don't let their videos phase you. Ignore them like they don't even exist. If there's a younger rider who is legit, then he'll eventually gain exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you. This just opened my mind up to make better videos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i completely understand this and have the honest to god same feel! It can be frustraiting to me when im at my local and i can see so much potential creativiy from so many of the kids there and none of them atempting to use it... I will also use this advise in the edits to come:) Thanks steven, Michael Hohmann

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!