Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dialed Magazine Interview


 Creating a magazine has been a dream of Steven Tongson, co-owner here at Inside Scooters for years now.  Meeting with a few different potential business partners, he eventually realized that this was something he wanted to do without the help of financial backing.  After many months of work, the very first issue of Dialed Scooter Mag was released, available for free at Scooterzone.  In order to find out more about the mag, I hit up Steven as well as Tyler Wheeland, who also plays a big role on Dialed.


Jordan Jasa:  So, you finally got the first issue out...How are you feeling?  Stoked or what?

Steven: I dont even know if I can really put into words how it feels dude, but Ill give it a shot. Its honestly a lot of relief, and I have to admit, I am proud of myself, and definitely proud of the Staff behind me who made this happen. 

Where is it going to be available and how can people get it?

Steven: Dialed is going to be available all over the USA. It is not, and will never be exclusive to any one region of the country. Give it a little bit of time, and riders will be able to get their hands on each issue at all major online shops, walk in shops, and more.

How long ago did the idea of creating a magazine come about?  What made you want to undertake such a task?

The Big Man himself.
Steven: In reality, this has been something that was an idea for more than two years. I just kept it quiet for the most part. 
In the beginning, I was to partner with a certain company, and make a magazine together with them. After giving it some thought, I realize this wasnt really what I was aiming to do. From there, I was approached by Andy Wegener, owner of Sunshine Distribution, ELYTS, 841, etc etc. It was a hell of a deal indeed, if I was to partner up and take that deal. But again, in the end, I realized it wasnt what I had envisioned, or what I wanted. 
That was all last year. After talking to a few company owners, and mainly Scott Mackintosh, the owner of Scooter Hut in Australia, I was convinced that I could in fact do this on my own. It would just take an immense amount of dedication, drive, and support. With my love for this sport, the community, and writing, I made the decision to do this magazine on my own. No financial backing and no partnership with any other company. I wanted to create a magazine 100% owned and ran by actual riders.

Tyler, when did you get involved?  What are your motivations for working for Dialed?

Tyler: Steven told me about Dialed at cooter con in 2010. Along the way he would tell me progress and stuff then I became part of the staff in October I believe. I'm a huge fan of magazines and of course I love scooters so it fit perfectly. I'm siked for real interviews and for good photos to be on print.

Creating a magazine is obviously a lot of work, but I think there are probably some things most people arent even aware of which are necessary in production.  Whats the process of making a magazine like?  How was it done on the first issue?  What do you guys each do specifically?

Steven: Ill go first here, before Tyler gets his answer in. Well youre definitely right dude, it is a lot of work, and very few people in the community will know just how much work. It was one of the most daunting tasks I ever took on. We literally started with nothing at all. Just an idea.. and we had to take that idea and turn it into something real. I cant even explain how hard that can be. I guess we just started with a content list. From there, we tracked down the riders, and attempted to make it happen haha.

 The process, well.. how we do things at Dialed. I get together with Tyler, and we spend a solid week discussing the content we want in the next issue. Once Tyler completes the content list, and it is cleared by me. We basically just get straight into it. We contact each rider, make sure theyre down to be in the magazine, and we start working with em. Photos that get sent into the magazine, go straight to Dylan Kasson for photo editing. When we have full text and photos for a piece, all of that is sent to Tom Hoying who lays that particular article or interview out to be ready for print. Once we have 100% all of the photos for an issue, we send those off to Alex Steadman who takes care of all of the photo captions in each issue. Once we got everything good to go, and Ive looked the complete magazine over a good 1,203,847,129,083,741 times..I give the “ok to Tom, and he sends it off to our printers. 

As for what I do for Dialed..hmm. I dont have a definite role I guess. I pretty much do a little bit of everything. Obviously I own the magazine, so I take care of all expenses (such fun..) I make sure everyone is staying on top of things, I write for the magazine, and do interviews, and I handle all of the advertising within the magazine.

Tyler: Steven pretty much handled the process.  I am the content manager and also help Steven in any way possible.

Has the second issue been easier to work on so far, now that you know what youre doing?

Steven: Man. The second issue is coming along so nicely. Now that we all got a handle on how this whole things works, we can really get things done. To be honest though, thats how I wanted it. I want people to know that this is being done by riders. I didnt have tons of money, and just have some professional layout and design dude just come in and handle my magazine. We are all scooter riders first, before anything else. 

Tyler: It's a bit easier but it's still a huge task. I wouldn't say we know what we are doing exactly yet. It's a huge learning experience. We are more prepared though.

Back to the first issue, Monky McMoran got the cover shot, with a front board down Hollywood 12.  Why did you guys decide on giving Monky the cover, and how did you pick who else to feature in the issue?

Dialed Issue #1.

Steven: Well, I guess theres no denying it, since most people already know. But Monky has been one of my favorite riders for such a long time now, and it just so happened that in the past couple of years he has really taken his riding to another level, mainly with his street riding. That being said it was a no brainer for me. I remember giving Monky the phone call, and telling him I wanted him on the front cover of the first issue.. haha good times. As for the other riders, it is never really easy to pick out who to feature in Dialed. Tyler and I basically think of riders who honestly deserve to be in there. It can be a rider whos killing it, doesnt get enough recognition, an up and comer, contest killer, and obviously with theInjury Incident article in each issue, we always look for someone who got absolutely wrecked.

Tyler: Kind of whoever deserves it and whoever is killing it at the time.  Monky has been on his game since he won that epic comp like a year and a half ago it just seemed right.

There is a small handful of other magazines in our sport now...What do you think of them?  Also, can you tell us what the deal is with Dialled of Australia?

Steven: Haha. Well, I will say that one of the reasons I really wanted to do this, is because I feel like the riders need it. For the record, I donthate on any of the other magazines on there. But that doesnt mean I like them, and think theyregood. Were not a magazine from another country, trying to be a magazine in the USA. Were riders that live in the USA, and were making a magazine for the USA. Some of the other magazines out right now, really just dont do the sport justice. We looked at them before starting Dialed, and instantly knew we can do better, so we went for it. I mean come on.. if youre going to have the audacity to stick, “Americas First Freestyle Scooter Magazine on your front cover, and release nothing more than a bad looking picture book? Do you REALLY think youre helping the sport when a BMX rider or skater picks that magazine up and looks through it
As for Dialled Australia, youll notice the 2 Ls. Thats how they spell it in Aus. Dialled Aus is our sister magazine for Australia. It is not the same magazine that you will get here in the USA. They are two completely different magazines designated to their locations. Dialled Aus is doing great in Australia, and we will be sure to match her here in the USA. As for Dialed US being available in AUS, and Dialled AUS being available here, that is something still to be decided.

Sweet banner they had made.

Can you tell us anything about the next upcoming issues?  Or any goals/future plans for Dialed?

Steven: I dont want to say too much regarding riders featured in the issues or other exclusive articles, but I will say this. We are never going to find a comfortable point with Dialed. Thats just not how my Staff is. Were thinking beyond that. We know that we have a lot to learn, and were willing to do so. We have no plans of stopping or slowing down either. 

Future plans and goals? Hmm.. Eventually, I want to be dropping a new issue every two months, not every three. But I dont feel its 100% mandatory to do so. I want to find more ways to give back to the community through Dialed as well. Sponsoring competitions and events is one way I plan on doing that. From there, its really to just make sure Dialed is known to all riders as the best magazine out in the USA. 

Any last thoughts/comments/thanks?

Steven: I feel like a real magazine in our sport is something that can only be produced by people that actually ride scooters. To some people the idea of making a magazine is simply to make money off of it. At Dialed that couldnt be further than the truth, shit my empty wallet proves that. Making money is needed to continue what we do, but it isnt why we do this. Were not from another industry trying to cash in on scooters. Scootering is something we all actually do. Weve been in this sport since we were kids. Dialed is my way to give back to the community, the industry, and to the sport that has kept me out of a 9 -5 job for the past three years. Its about the passion, not the paycheck. 

"Its about the passion, not the paycheck." 
I definitely want to give thanks to some of the people that made this possible. I want to thank Scott Mackintosh over at Scooter Hut for making me realize that I can in fact do this, and succeed. I gotta thank John Radtke and Chris Gascoigne as well. While they dont work for Dialed anymore, it was those two riders who turned the dream into a reality. It would have never made it past an idea if not for them. Scooter Zone James for being a Homie from the get go, and supporting me nonstop along the way. My Mom and my Dad who believed in me when I didnt even believe I could do this, and for their endless amounts of support. My entire staff working alongside me at Dialed Scooter Mag, who impress me time and time again with their talents in their fields. I assure you, without the current staff working with Dialed, we wouldnt have a magazine at all. To Tyler Wheeland for honestly keeping my head on straight, and being one of my close friends for so long. Last, but certainly not least to a very special person in my life named Alice. She was my strength when I had none and my only source of happiness when I was stressed out of my mind. She stood by me through everything, and me thanking her at the end of this interview equals less than half of what she truly deserves. 

Tyler: This project only has room for improvements and hopefully you guys dig. Thanks to Steven for giving me this opportunity and my parents for not making me get a real job.
For anyone who wants to get their hands on the first issue check with your favorite scooter webshops/shops, if they don't carry Dialed, ask them to! For now you can get them for sure by clicking the link below.. Scooter Zone

37 comments:

  1. Got my first issue already. Love the work they did on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are Tyler, Alex, and Dylan a part of Dialed? Just lost some respect for this mag

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha love the reference towards FSM, it really was a horrible magazine though. I have Dialed, French Toast, FSM, Scoot Mag, and I'll say that Dialed and Scoot Mag are easily the best ones out. Consider that Dialed is only at Issue 1, I have high hopes for them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To anon, why would you have less respect because Tyler, Alex, and Dylan were a part of it? I have more respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cause theyre honestly a bunch of judgemental faggots who think they are better than other riders cus they ride street

      Delete
    2. Uh no. You must be new here. Tyler never said that he thinks he's better than park riders, he just encourages kids to ride street. You're putting words in his mouth.

      Delete
  5. I don't pick the staff because they feel a certain way about the sport, or the scene, or whatever. I can care less about what they think about the sport or what anyone thinks about the sport or scene.

    They do their jobs. It's as simple as that, and they are all great what they do for Dialed.

    Seriously, there isn't even a reason for drama over it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol inside kids.

    Can't wait to get a hold of one! Props Steven man, it's actually so awesome how far we've come and you have been there since the start. Could not think of a better person to frontline this!

    Peace buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ran by riders?
    Seriously steven when is the last time you showed an edit showing you re still riding?
    Still at french toast we re majorly riders and we dont make a big deal out of it. still ,good luck with the 2 months pace because it's a hard one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha youre fucking dumb. I live in the same city as Steven, he can still shred whenever he chooses to. Ask any local rider at his park. Idiot

      Delete
    2. Steve Berra doesn't really skate anymore and you don't see kids giving him shit for running the berrics and not skating. Fuck it if he hasn't rode in awhile, he put together a sick ass magazine and it obviously took a lot of work and commitment. Don't forget he made this magazine for you guys to enjoy so stop bitchin.

      Delete
  8. So because I don't make edits, I don't ride? No offense Balt, but that's one of the stupidest things I ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude sorry you didn t get my point.Not making videos doesnt mean you dont ride. not riding does not mean you re not legit at making a scoot magazine. This was just what i was saying. i dont argue on mean things like that man. We saw the dialed aus and it was well edited . we were pretty sad about ft cover that ended up as a photo in dialed, guess the industry will have more respect towards mags in the future.

      Delete
  9. I got 3 copies from The Scooter Zone! Its a really great mag, created by riders that my kids like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lolololol.

    Just because Steven doesn't ride nearly as much as he used to doesn't mean he isn't a rider. He rode before you knew what a scooter was. Learn some respect before you comment and make a silly sloppy bitch out of yourself.

    As for the mag, The overall layout is nice. I hate the logo. It is disgusting. But to each their own. While I don't agree with steven about his "reasons" for picking those trendy dudes it doesn't matter what i think or anyone else thinks.

    Get the fuck over yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I know who you are, but not sure.

      Delete
    2. Still have love for you bro.

      Delete
  11. Steven has been an older brother to me in scooters since I was 14 years old. He didn't just pick me for the magazine because I am a trendy dude. I don't have enough time to worry about what kids say about me on the internet. I am going out and getting clips and working hard on Dialed while you are criticizing me over a keyboard. - Tyler Wheeland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, i still find you trendy (;

      Delete
  12. Jean-Yves RandriambelsonMay 1, 2012 at 4:02 AM

    HAHAHA Guys, ( especially the anonymous dude ) balthazar has been riding for 13 years, prolly the oldest dude in the sport, just sayin. As for the mag i'm really disapoited in Tyler for not even bringing me one copy here in France^^. I'm stoked to see we are finally not the only ones out there with French Toast knowing how hard it is to release ONE single issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Balts my homie man. We've been down for a long time haha.

    JD no worries, I will send some out to you for you and everyone at FT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jean-Yves RandriambelsonMay 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM

    ight cool no problem man ;) If you want me slap him for you he's on floor face down ass up being lazy in front of me haha. France is too chill

    ReplyDelete
  15. just to let you know jordan and the rest og the inside crew a company in australia stole your idea and made a magazine called dialled as well i'll give you the link to there youtube channel below

    http://www.youtube.com/user/DialledMagazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so did you read the interview? I'm guessing... No.

      Delete
  16. Shelby Grimes shot the cover? Isn't she friends with that crazy british dude who's married to Katy Perry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lololol. Grimnes* Those two got divorced by the way.

      Delete
  17. just to let you know jordan & the rest, the name was stolen from a Australian company Dialed Scooters, Coedie Donovan had a scooter crew called that in 1999 or close to then, Rory Coe got permission from coedie & named his company he kicked off in 2009.It goes to show the smallest scooter company in the world is not safe with companies stealing names & products of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to let you know..

      My magazine is not called Dialed Scooters? We're not a shop.. we don't make parts.. we don't sell other companies parts.

      I created Dialed Scooter Mag. We make a Magazine.

      Still confused??

      Delete
    2. So you didn't put a s on the end of scooter oh well that makes a HUGE differences dude , sorry man. Well at least DSC has a meaning to its name legit as not just following other's. One more question what is your reason or meaning for spelling DIALED that way & not the correct spelling? or did you just thought it was a kool name & follow? I thought us Americans were more intelligent & leaders.

      Delete
    3. You just said "Kool" and that Dialed, is not the correct spelling.. then you tried to say "us Americans" as if you are an american? Which clearly, you are an Australian?

      You sound like a 13 year old kid, who is upset about something that you have nothing to do with..

      For the record, in America.. the correct spelling, is Dialed. Not Dialled.

      Delete
    4. Been in the game longer than you & its all about respect within the scooter community where ever you live, for the record never been to Australia,I have respect for the two riders I mentioned (original OG"s) .So you have been caught out to be a follower, join the rest of them, you forgot to explain your meaning to the name.

      Delete
  18. is there any where in australia that i can get my hand on an american dialed

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!