Saturday, April 23, 2011

Matt Somers Interview

Matt Somers is another top level rider from New Jersey who is quickly becoming one of my favorite all around riders, from street to park. He rides extremely clean, and spins both ways and whips both ways, two things I really admire in a rider. He also is the latest rider to make the Scooter Zone Pro Team on the East Coast. I recently was able to catch up with Matt, and got the below interview done. Check it out.







Steven: Matt Somers, to start us off, can you tell us how old you are and where you're from?

Matt: I'm from Jackson, New Jersey and I'm 18 years old.

Steven: Ahh, another dirty jersey rider haha. So how long have you been riding scooters, and what got you started?

Matt: I've been riding since Sept 08'. It was a joint effort between my brother and Brandon Russo. My brother bought a Pro model because he saw Brandon riding and then I got hooked on it about a month later and then I bought my first Pro model.


Steven: Now, You seem to be able to ride park and street really well, do you prefer one over the other, and if so, why?

Matt: Street is more fun, it's as simple as that. Park is basically a place to learn tricks or get ideas for something I want to try to pull at a spot.

Steven: Gotta agree with you there dude. In your videos you do a lot of opposite spins and whips. How hard was it for you to start whipping and spinning opposite?

Matt: I never really noticed it to be honest, I have my grindbox to thank. I naturally BS feeble so most of the time I was spinning FS out of grinds so that definitely helped a lot. As for heelwhips, I'm pretty sure it was seeing BK do them that made me think I should do that to. We all know he is the king of driveway videos

Steven: Very true. You got a lot of top riders in your area, how much has it helped to be able to come up riding with some of these guys?

Matt: It definitely made me progress faster...I will say that guys like Peter Jungsberger, Collin DaSilva, and Josh Kish influence by me in park, but I've got them out into the streets more now so it's like we help each other out now.


Steven: That's awesome man. So you recently got added on to the Scooter Zone Pro Team, what does that mean to you, and how do you think it's going to change your riding?

Matt: Well first off, I didn't expect it. Getting picked up by a team like this just gets me stoked and makes me want to go bigger and better now that I have someone backing me. My riding isn't going to change one bit, you'll see some different spots and some new tricks, but basically mostly just street riding.

Steven: So now that you are riding for a company known for supporting their team riders 110%, what can we expect from you in the near future?

Matt: Definitely traveling, I'll be at one of the major contests on the West Coast. Summer time is coming up and I'm going on a trip out to the Midwest, I'm going to be stopping at Rob Dyrdek's plaza in Ohio, which gets me more then stoked. I guess just another edit with a bunch of amazing spots.

Steven: Can't wait to get you out here on the West Coast Matt. Thanks for taking the time to do this interview with Inside-Scooters Matt, any last words or shout outs?

Matt: ScooterZone for hooking me up, my brother and friends for keeping me going and just being there to ride. Brandon Russo for filming. And to anyone reading this, ride how you want to ride. If you like doing briflips then do them, if you like riding how I ride, do it. Don't let other people tell you how to ride, let them influence how you ride.




Below you can also check out Matt's latest video, and be sure to check Inside-Scooters cause he has a Scooter Zone promo video coming out in the near future.

9 comments:

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!