Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eric Magray Interview: A New Company On the Horizon


Eric Magray is an OG rider from Levittown PA, a place known for having some sick riders. Eric was extremely active in the sport a few years ago, then took a break to pursue other things in life. Well Eric is back now, and he's got one major goal in mind for 2011...His new company. Read the interview below that I recently had with Eric to learn more.



Steven: Name, Age, Location?

Eric: Eric Magray, 19, Levittown PA

Steven: So Eric, you've been around for a long time dude, but you kind of vanished for a while...What happened during that time?

Eric: Haha, I've been hearing a lot of that. Basically I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. At one point I was doing freelance graphic design, I wanted to go to school for mechanical engineering, I got involved in one of those network marketing businesses, and having a girlfriend on top of that just took up all of my time and energy. When I do something I tend to put all of my focus on whatever it is I'm doing.

Steven: When you started to get back into riding, were you aware of all the changes the sport had gone through, or was it all really new to you?

Eric: It was soooooooo different. For starters, I logged into SR and seen there were THOUSANDS of members. Then there was all these new companies, I thought that was pretty awesome how the sport actually grew a lot since I've been away.

Steven: Now that you're back in the sport...what was it that inspired you to start up your own company?

Eric: When Jon Reyes told me that almost all of these new companies are owned by rich scooter dads or investors I instantly wanted to create something different. I am a welder/metal fabricator/machine operator by day so I know what it takes to make parts. I have always been very interested in owning a business which is why I tried freelance graphic design and network marketing. And I have designed and made scooter parts for fun since I was 15! Why not just start a scooter company?
Steven: What are some goals you want to accomplish with your company?

Eric: Too many to list, but I will share a few overall/ultimate long term goals,


-To design, fabricate, and sell the highest quality scooter products on the market.
-To have an amazing facility where riders can come chill, shred, buy stuff, and take a tour of the shop to see how their parts are made.
-To have a presence like no other! The "company" is only on paper and doesn't REALLY exist, the people do though and we will be the life of the scooter community!



Steven: Are you going into this project solo? Or do you got some partners heading into this with you?


Eric: I've got plenty of friends and riders who are helping out with whatever they can but when it comes to the finances and actual dirty work of starting and running a company, its all me. I can guarantee you that if anyone else ever owns it besides me, it will be a rider, and one who takes pride in the sport.

Steven: So what kind of products can we expect in the near future? And do you plan on sponsoring riders eventually?

Eric: Within the next few months expect brakes, axles, pegs, and bars. Of course I will sponsor! Its all about the riders, without riders there would be no sport.

Steven: When do you think we will start seeing some products Eric?

Eric: My goal is to have flex brakes available by end of February but with the way things are going the brakes AND axles may be available before that. Keeping my fingers crossed =)

Steven: Any last words or shout outs you wanna make Eric?

Eric: I had deja vu writing this! Haha, I remember writing and email with Steven Tongson in the "To:" line with SR in the background.


But anyway, I have to shout out to first and foremost Dan Barrett, for all the
things that actually count in life and all the times we've had in the last 6 years. Jason Griffiths for all his help recently with everything. Jon Reyes, because without him coming here that one weekend to ride I probably wouldn't have started riding again. Andrew Broussard for all the good talks and support. Steve Tongson for this interview and his interest in helping get this company off the ground. All the L-Town riders for being so gnarly and testing prototypes. And the best for last, Darlene Magray (a.k.a. Moma Dukes) for all the support and doing the best she can to help me whenever I need it<3.



So it looks like sometime in the near future we're going to start seeing some new products from another rider owned company, and to be honest, I couldn't be more stoked. Check out the Magray Scooter Co. Update #1 video to learn more..and you can also see some nice riding clips at the end. All future Magray Scooter Co Update Videos, will be posted here on IS, so stay tuned for all of those.

13 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see the products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big up to you Man!

    Keeping it real... how it should be.

    I hope you go far.

    -Joe oldfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. r.i.p. woodward :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. eric magray is the best and his company will be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im in the process of testing his brake and its sooo nice.
    expect BIG BIG things from this company,

    ReplyDelete
  6. all the clips were bangers.and im so excited about your company dude.SO excited.keep it up bro.ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. "making" axels? 12.9 grade bolts ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i cant wait to get the new brake it sounds so sexy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys! The clips were actually throwaway, the good stuff is get used for a nice video.

    The thing with the axles, yea I had some crazy idea to make g-sport style ones for a scooter but it got too complicated. That's not gonna happen anymore. I've got soooo many ideas and only so much time to actually model them on the computer, and even less time to make prototypes. Just know that whatever comes from this company will be great =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, that wasnt even a lucky part.. it was the razor head tube..
    and i like your idea about the flex fender for razor decks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea that's why Dan said, "No Lucky parts were broken in the making of this video." Then someone in the background said "Shitty Razor."

    No one was putting down Lucky, they make good parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeahh boyyy.... Company's gonna be legit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gunna be too dope, just because its "Eric" making a coming and he's going to " try to try" harder than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!