Wednesday, January 9, 2013

James Gee Return to Lucky Interview


This week Lucky announced that two of their OG riders, James Gee and Blake Bailor, have returned to the Lucky team just six months after leaving to start apparel company ADVCT. We at Inside Scooters were able to chat with James Gee and get the scoop. Before reading the Q&A, here’s a bit of background:

Obviously 2012 has been a big year for Lucky. For a while the company seemed quiet, and then everything started to change in a flash. Before we knew it, Dakota had signed a multi year contract, and Lucky Veterans, Blake Bailor, Evan Yamada, and James Gee had left the company..and made it pretty clear why.  Lucky moved on, releasing a whole new line of products, and continued to expand it's team. Dakota went on to do exactly what Dakota does, and slayed every competition in front of him, including the World Championships. The younger Lucky AM and Lucky Title Team riders were doing their thing placing in competitions as well. It left people wondering if Lucky's street riding presence was gone for good. However with James Gee and Blake Bailor back to join Mike Montgomery and Lil Jon, I think it's safe to say there is still some hope for LSP's Street riding roots.


- First of all, congratulations on your return to the Lucky Team! To start, what have you two been up to?

James: Thanks a lot man pretty stoked to be back. We’ve been going to college up in Bellingham, Washington about an hour and a half away from home where we run our apparel company, ADVCT, and chill with all the homies. Recently just had winter break where we rode a ton and got this whole thing to happen.

- Ok, so when you left, you guys went on the record that you didn’t think Lucky was heading in the right direction. Why the change of heart…was leaving a mistake?

James: We just assumed that Lucky was transforming into this company that wasn’t the way Lucky was before. After signing Kota we were worried that Lucky was going to make a total 180 degree turn where the company only targeted the younger riders and focused only on park riding. There were some other things heading up to this situation where we weren’t seeing eye to eye with the company. We were told the opportunities were coming and that Brian had all these ideas planned out for us, but we got impatient. We got to start ADVCT and Brian was pretty much our mentor for the company so I kept in touch with him. We met in the beginning of winter break and talked a lot and we started chatting more and more about me getting on lucky again, developing parts, and other stuff everyone will get to see this year from Lucky. I would say it was a mistake…I just really like Lucky it’s like home to me.

- Was this a group decision? Is Evan Yamada back on the team, too?

James: This was an individual decision. As I said I met up with Brian in the beginning of the break and he brought up bringing me back and I was all ears. He even said it was weird that he was dealing with just me because Blake, Evan, and I have always kind of have been a package haha. I know Blake met with Brian separately a week or so after me. I don’t know anything about Evan I don’t want to speak on his behalf.

- Okay, fair enough. So you both left as Kota came on to the team. Any beef with him, or are you just going to each do your own thing?

James: There is definitely 0 beef with Kota. Kota is a monster and I’m looking forward to riding and working with him. To get this straight, I don’t hate park riding—park riding is sick. I just prefer to ride street. I ride park sometimes and there’s no reason to have hate for someone that rides a certain terrain/way.

- I’m looking forward to the Devin Super Tramp video. But tell me, now that you’re both back on the Lucky team, what can we expect from you in 2013?

James: I was brought in to watch every clip filmed in the 2 days of filming and there was seriously sooooo much footage. I have seen the Devin Super Tramp video as well and it’s buck. In terms of what’s coming from me, I would say you can expect more street edits, a strong presence at street events, HD filming, new products, signature parts, etc. Lucky plans product launches in August every year so look out for some of the newer product and signature parts then.

- Last question…are you still running ADVCT? 

James: Hell yeah dude. It is definitely harder then we have thought, but we are learning a lot about business. Lucky supports us and allows ADVCT to be in the videos and descriptions of the videos to help us out. Stay Advocated!

Well I have to say that’s it’s great to see you guys back with Lucky! Any last shout outs?
James: Thanks a lot Lucky for another opportunity and letting me do what I love to do. Thanks to everyone that supports me and ADVCT. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!