Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dylan Kasson "The Almanac" Interview

It started about a year ago, and all it took was a Flip camera. That was when Dylan started producing the Almanac videos. Since then he has built quite the following of people that enjoy watching the videos, and it's only continuing to grow. To be able to get an inside look at some of the stuff these guys get into is almost impossible to not enjoy. I recently caught up with Dylan Kasson to discuss The Almanac.







So when did you decide to start doing videos like this? Was there any
specific reason?


Dylan: I saw a lot of people in the skateboard world doing it. Mainly a photographer named Joe Brook. He would make edits with a point and shoot camera every time he would go on filming trips with skate teams. They were called fatbacks. These videos were so interesting because I feel like most people are sort of "actors" when they have video parts, even with the lifestyle footage it is highly glamorized so it is nice to see the absolute truth.

Yeah dude, I really get that last part. Now for those who don't know what are all these videos filmed with?

Dylan: They are filmed with a standard definition and high definition flip
camera and a iphone 4.

I feel like these videos show a different side to the sport. A lot of the
riders featured in the videos are known for being some of the sports top
riders, yourself included. Though in the videos, you get to see everyone
pretty much just chilling, and get a better feel for who they are. Would you
say that's true?


Dylan: Yes of course. Even though we take filming real clips very seriously,
there has to be enjoyable moments in between. But when the real
cameras come out its a completely different attitude.

The first ever Flip video Dylan made.

california flip cam edit from Dylan on Vimeo.



We see a lot of Tyler Wheeland, Yourself, and Alex Steadman in the
videos. You guys are all obviously pretty close friends, how fun is it to
get together with these guys and film some of these clips?


Dylan: We all just work so well together. Whenever I go out west if it is
that crew I get so much stuff done and have the funnest time possible.

There have been a lot of riders featured in the various different Almanac
videos. From Jordan Jasa, Josh Young, and Tommy Daddano, to Lil Jon, Evan
Yamada, and even Jackson Manzie. Are there any guys that you want to get
into the Almanac videos in the future? Or is it more of a, "Whoever I'm
with at that time" kind of thing?


Dylan: It is more whoever I am with. I don't take these edits to the point
that I would seek things out to be in them. That is what makes them
good, the lack of planning at all.

The Almanac #5 Midwest Style

the almanac #5 from Dylan on Vimeo.




While these videos aren't as popular right now, they are definitely going
to be soon, and already are with a lot of people. What do you think it is
about videos that just honestly show a bunch of randomness from various
people, that have people so interested?


Dylan: I think one of the only reasons is that a lot of people look up to the
people in the video so if they put out any type of video whether it be
riding or not people are going to watch it. It is hard to understand
why some things in the videos are funny because they are inside jokes
only the people in the video know, but I mostly make the videos so we
can all look back on it and laugh.

In one of these we get to see you shoot some guns. And there have been
quite a few other moments, where you had to have been glad you had the
camera on you. Do you just keep it on you at all times? And have there been
any moments that you wished you would have had it on you, but didn't?


Dylan: I carry my flip camera everywhere with me. Absolutely no exceptions.
When I am in California we have multiple backup flip cams because we
have smashed a few. When it is dark out I switch to my iPhone because
it has a light on it.

Since this is about to get posted up on ISB, would you be stoked, or not
stoked at all, to see kids start imitating or creating their own "Almanac"
style videos?


Dylan: They already have. When I was at the San Diego competition this year
some little 12 year old kid came up to me and told me he loved the
almanac edits. This blew me away because I thought me and the people
who were in the edits were the only people that watched them. I like
to watch other peoples edits though. It is cool to see something
inspired by something I started and then people build on that. I think
my only concern is one that people have about my videos, they don't
understand some of the jokes but that is inevitable. I know Jordan
Jasa makes some good flip cam edits for sure though.

Damn dude that's sick. Do you got any last words you want to say to anyone who has watched, or is about to start watching these videos?

Dylan: Don't take these seriously they are made for a good laugh.

The Almanac #8 West Coast Style (4:16 - 4:27 TWhee = lol)

the almanac #8 from Dylan on Vimeo.






Dude I don't know about you guys, but I kind of want to dig up my old Flip cam and go film a bird or something. Keep checking Inside-Scooters for all future Almanac videos, cause we will be posting all new videos as soon as they drop, here on ISB.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so bummed that the screen broke on mine...regardless i'm still planning on putting more out. they're so fun to make, its like video scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sick another Dylan Kasson interview.. You guys should just do a live web cam..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always wondeirng if Fatback was what inspired you to make these, Dylan. Cause ive always thought of your almanac edits as the scooter version of Fatback. keep making them for sure though, theyre always enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn Anonymous, you're right dude.

    Dylan you down for some live webcam????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gay as fucking haircut

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these videos. They remind of a couple years back when scootering was just fun. It wasn't about competitions, or being better than someone else. It was pure fun.

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!