Thursday, December 1, 2011

Skatebarn's Impact on Scootering as We Know It



As you might have heard now, Skatebarn West in Renton, Washington is finally closing its doors.  Devin Hohlbein put this video together of interviews with Kingsley Okocha and Jake O'Donnell, as well of some riding footage to better illustrate the impact SBW had on our sport.  Devin himself worked at the shop in the upstairs of Skatebarn, called Mothership Distribution, so he knows firsthand what SBW means to riders in Washington.

I've been to the Barn a few times myself for competitions...each time being one of the most intense competitions I've gone to.  I'll never forget the epic battle between Tyler Bonner and Dakota Shuetz at the last stop of the Razor Exposed tour, in which Tyler put together pretty much a perfect competition run to be crowned Tour King.  While the park itself wasn't exactly one of my favorites, I'm definitely bummed that its closing.  It gave so many kids a place to ride during the rainy days in the NW, I'm sure it will be sorely missed.

3 comments:

  1. The video made me realize how big of an impact it made. Its really sad to see this place go, I learned alot of tricks there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a bummer to think that after all these years I have never been able to visit this park. I hope another top of the line indoor park springs up in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought of skatebarn as like scooter headquarters XD

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!