Monday, December 12, 2011

Phoenix Reventon Deck Review

 

The Reventon deck is latest deck to be put out by Phoenix Pro Scooters.  I had been seeing pictures of it throughout its development on Phoenix’s facebook and wanted to get my hands on one from the get-go.  So eventually I hit up Tom Floyd and he made it happen.  Before I get started on this review, I’d like to note that it is pronounced “ree ven ton”.

Of the three sizes of the Reventon deck, I received the smallest- 4.25” wide by 19.5 long.  4.25 is probably my favorite width…19.5 long on the other hand is a little cramped, but pretty standard compared to most decks.  For bigger riders, two other sizes are available- 4.65 by 20.5, and 5.25 by 22 (which is only available as the Stan Smirnoff Signature deck).  Speaking of signature decks, a Dan Barrett signature deck is also available, in the 4.25 by 19.5 size. 

The deck comes with a Switchblade brake and FSA Orbitz integrated headset, so setting up the deck is a breeze.  Integrated headsets are definitely superior to other threadless headsets.  So easy to set up, so smooth, I don’t see why you wouldn’t want one.  So that’s a huge plus with this thing.  The Reventon has 6 degrees of concave which is a little weird at first, but then becomes awesome.  More concave really helps out with gripping the deck.  Continuing the trend from past Phoenix decks, the Reventon has a headtube angle of 82.5.  Pretty standard angle, I dig.  Whips are plenty easy with that angle.

What I also noticed right away when riding the Reventon, was its flat bottom and squared sides.  This is a huge advantage for me, being a rider who likes to do a lot of grinds.  Pretty much every rail grind is so much easier on this deck.  Fingerwhips are cake too.  Probably the biggest bummer with this deck, that I’ve found, are the back dropouts…pegs (at least Tilt Chromos) cannot fit flush, and as the deck has a taper at the back, icepicks aren’t possible…so that can be a problem if you’re into those.  However, Tom has informed me that he is working on pegs which will be compatible with the Reventon.  Pegs should also work with a spacer too.

The Reventon’s aesthetic is one that most people either love or hate.  Personally I didn’t think it looked as big and bulky as other people had led me to believe.  The headtube is rather bigger than on the previous Phoenix deck, but it is supposed to be stronger, so that’s cool.  The headtube also features a cutout in the front, as you can see in the top picture.  This deck comes in four colors- orange, green, gunmetal grey, and black, which is what I have. 

Overall, for being the most expensive deck on the market (MSRP $259.95), the Reventon packs quite a punch.  Not only does it feature the flat bottom and sides, but it is rated to withstand over 4000 lbs of pressure before breaking.  If you like District decks for their stability when grinding, but want a stronger ride, or are a bigger rider wanting more footroom, this balanced deck is the one for you.  Great stocking stuffers for those parents out there ;)

12 comments:

  1. i got my peg in the back axel fine. mahgrey pegs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt my parents will give me a $260 deck in my stocking. Do you think that these guys will ever eventually go down in price?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I'm with jeffrey...I love the deck but 260$ hurts

    ReplyDelete
  4. i could like buy a v2i, sinz int., vertx smx v2 and some bars for about the same price, sad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or you could save like 80 dollors and buy a TSI flight (;

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you have to take off your forkrace in order for it to fit in the deck?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im from the UK and to be fair im going from a JD Bug Extreme V2 to one of these decks custom built. Big change but my friend has one of these and hes rides so well i just really need to get my hands on one. Then again pegs I would only be using a front left peg anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting on super excited and they ride excellent

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the the limegreen reventon.honestly its an amazung deck overall!! Pegs...a bummer but still real nice on finger whips.its the perfict weight! No ci mplants.but i think phoenix can come doen on the price just a little. But its worth every pinny. Greaat deck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is shit broke in box :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i bought this deck and it snapped in 2 days what a waste of money

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!