Saturday, May 14, 2011

Aussie Street Shredder, Luke Maffesoni Interview

If I had to be honest, I would say that Luke kinda snuck under my radar. I usually got a keen eye for spotting the "are's" and "are nots" of the sport, but Luke caught me off guard. His latest edit really sealed the deal, and made it clear that Luke was going to make sure he was recognized as a top street rider in the sport today. Check out the interview I had with Luke below.





Steven: Luke...this interview has been long overdue man. How you been dude?

Luke: I've been great, Just a bit busy with school.



Steven: Real quick, for those who don't know, where are you from in Australia?

Luke: I'm from a little town called Raymond terrace in NSW,



Steven: So the reason that I felt like we finally had to get this interview done, is because you have become a serious force when it comes to street riding, not just in Australia, but around the world. Have you always considered yourself a street rider? And if not, when did you make that transition?

Luke: I mainly have always seen myself to be more of a street rider. Street riding is where i usually have the most fun, I find it alot more chill then riding a park and there is always alot more to do. I also do enjoy riding park, it just has to be with the right people and a good park. Which i live no where
near to haha.



Steven: It seems like it took a while for people to really recognize you as a dominant street rider though. Your latest video, which is featured below this interview seems to have really changed peoples minds about your riding. How long did you work on that video?

Luke: I actually worked on the video for about 4 months. I ended up just deleting and not using alot of clips because i found them to be crap compared to some clips which delayed the video. I don't ride much while school is on either which further delayed the video. Also most of the clips in the video are filmed in sydney which is about a 3 hour trip from where i live so filming for this video was slow.



Steven: Well despite it taking so long, it was well worth it. Thinking back on that video, there were a lot of lines and tricks that looked pretty intense. What would you say were some of the hardest tricks to land during the filming process of the video?

Luke: The first line in the video, fingerwhip a flat gap to 180 bar over the rail probobly took the longest. This took over 30 minutes, and was about 9 or 10 in the morning, Way to early to be riding. Also the last trick, tripple the 4 block took ages to finally huck a tripple, but when i did i got it 2nd try, i was stoked. Alot of the tricks i really tried for in the video, So im pretty stoked the way it turned out.



Steven: Damn dude...putting in work. Now you also film and edit a lot of videos for your friends. Are there any videos your working on of your friends right now that we should be on the look out for in the future?

Luke: There is none at the moment since my computer got a mad virus and i had to get it whiped, but in the future i plan to film a video of Jon Archer who is amazing now. Also Im thinking of making James Bull and Sean Scully another video, Because i feel they are way to underated.




Steven: Yeah, all those guys kill it. Are there any riders that push you to ride as hard as you do? Whether those be riders from other parts of the world, or guys you ride with on a daily basis.

Luke: I don't ride with anyone on a daily basis, No one in my town really rides so i don't ride alot through the week. The people who push me to ride tho include good friends Kevin Austin, Jon Archer and basicly the whole Friendly crew. People from around the world also can influence me like Matt Mckeen, Michael Cajas and basicly any one who shreds street.



Steven: Haha for sure. So with the well earned fame from your last video, I gotta think, or at least hope you're working on another edit. If so, when did you start filming, and when can we expect to see that video drop?


Luke: I actually havn't started to film for anything yet, Im waiting on parts from District/Eagle. But when i receive these i will begin filming for a district promo that i hope will be out in about 2-3 months. I don't really like to rush videos, But i really want to put out another video which is full street.



Steven: Well we will all be keeping a look out for that edit. Luke, it's been a pleasure dude. It's been great to be able to see first hand how far you've come, and I know that you'll be going a lot farther in the future. Do you got any last words or shout outs you wanna get out?

Luke: I would like to say thank you to everyone who i ride with, for putting up with me haha, For everyone whos filmed me, And to marcel and the whole eagle team who have helped me out so much, Also thanks steven for this interview. Peace.



Below you can check out Luke's latest video, and also an edit he made from another of my favorite riders...Jon Archer.




Luke Maff 2011 Street Edit


Jon Archer Edit by Luke Maff

6 comments:

  1. So good to see an Aussie interview here on IS, love ya Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree with above

    ReplyDelete
  3. luke is gay - manzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luke is small, his biceps and size are no match for mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. shoulda covered his rivalry with twhee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt know there was one, Im not into all the online drama shit now a days lol

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!