Friday, June 11, 2010

TSI Scepter Bars + Thom Cat Forks Review


I think everyone knows that TSI (Trick Scooters International) makes some of the best decks on the market. But it seems like time and time again TSI is overlooked for two other products they make. Their bars and forks.

To be more specific, The TSI Scepter Bars and the Thom Cat Forks. I was recently sent both to try out for myself…and I was as impressed with these, as I was when I was first sent a TSI to review for Inside-Scooters. So let’s get right into it.


TSI Scepter Bars

At first glance, these might seem like regular 3 Piece Bars. Well think again. The first thing you’ll notice about these bars when you get them…is the weight. These things are really light. The second thing you’ll notice is the cross bar. It’s not your standard 3 piece bars cross bar. It has 5 degrees of Backsweep. This perfect amount of backsweep made for one of the most comfortable bar set ups I’ve rode in a long time. Barspins felt amazingly balance and dialed with this crossbar.

The next thing that caught my attention was the Stem…In the past you might have seen riders wrapping up their Stems with a cloth or bandana, a lot of riders did this to follow other riders…but more than often it was because of sharp edges on other 3 Piece Bars Stem designs. Well you don’t need to worry about that with the TSI Scepter Stem…This thing is beautiful, smooth all around, and not too bulky. It has your standard 4 screws that attach the machined aluminum top cap. Simple and easy. Another thing separating TSI Scepters from the other 3 Piece bars on the market, is that their bottom half of the top cap is welded from the inside to the top of the bars. Not bolted on like other bars.

Another thing that sets these bars apart from other 3 Piece Bar designs? The Poles are designed for HIC. Yes, HIC (Hidden Internal Compression). TSI believes that HIC is and should become the new standard for compression in the sport of scootering. So when you purchase your TSI Scepters you will get the following stuff needed to start using HIC Compression.

Top cap
1 Star nut and Bolt
Aluminum HIC Shim


So with all of that stuff INCLUDED with your bars, I’d say it’s time to ditch the old ICS, and go with HIC.

Normally when you start riding 3 Piece Bars, you really feel the difference from T bars…but when I got my Scepters set up, it gave a whole new feel that I haven’t felt from T Bars, or other 3 Piece Bars. The backsweep might not be everyone’s favorite thing at first, but I think if you give it a chance and take the short amount of time it takes to adjust, you will start to like it. I took the bars to my local park, to flow around for a bit, and let some of the locals try them out…there were a couple bails, where the scooter went flying, and took a few slams on the crossbar, with no signs of bending at all. Which considering the light weight of the bars, shocked me. Everyone who rode them, was asking where to get them shortly after haha.

Overall, I love these bars. I have loved the concept of 3 Piece Bars ever since I saw them for the first time, and TSI only helped further my admiration for them. They’re strong, they’re light, and they’re designed for HIC…that’s a Win, Win, Win. Priced at 84.99usd these aren’t the cheapest bars out there, but for what you’re getting (all parts needed for HIC) you are getting a deal here. So with that being said, let’s take a final look at the Pro’s and Con’s of the TSI Scepter Bars.

PROS
Light
Strong
HIC Compatible (also fits SCS)
Great Stem design

CONS
Maybe too light for some riders
Backsweep Crossbar might not be everyones favorite

Thom Cat Forks

So without my knowledge, when I popped open my package from TSI, I was shocked to see a Thom Cat Fork in there staring up at me. Ever since I saw these forks a while ago, I thought they looked pretty awesome. So I was stoked at the chance to try some of them out. Here’s my thoughts on the Thom Cat Forks.

Visually, you won’t really find any other forks on the market that resemble these forks. It’s clear that when Matt of TSI designed these forks(who you can see to the left), he wasn’t looking to any previous forks for motivation…it came from his head…and considering TSI’s other products, I think it’s safe to say that’s a good place for ideas to come from. If you check the picture you will see what I mean. When I first got the fork, I took it down to my local bike shop where some friends work, and the owner of that shop happened to be in there, he was in complete amazement at the Thom Cat Forks. Taking them from me, and analyzing them for a good five minutes haha.

Onto performance and feel. These forks have 7.5mm offset, now for those used to stock forks and other aftermarket forks with offset, most of those are at 10mm offset. So it will have a bit of a different feel. I’ve rode everything from stock 10mm offset, to Zero offset, to now Thom Cat Forks, 7.5mm offset. I think it’s safe to say that unless you do a LOT of nosemanual tricks, it won’t take you too long to get used to the slight difference. Weight wise, they can be considered slightly heavy compared to what you’re riding now. But that slight weight gain on your scooter is for a good cause. That being the strength of these forks. To this day, there is no record of anyone bending a Thom Cat Fork. They really are THAT strong and that solid.

Another thing I wanted people to notice about the Thom Cat Fork that might be overlooked, but certainly shouldn’t be ignored. Is the Axel design. When you get your Thom Cat Fork it will come with the Fork, and a bolt axel. Although one of the smaller parts of the fork, it is one of my favorites. Basically on the bottom of your fork legs, where you put the axel through, one side will be threaded. All you do is get your wheel on, insert the axel, and simply tighten it right into the fork itself. It tightens up perfectly, not too tight and not too lose leaving your wheel to spin freely. Really smart idea if you ask me. At 80.00usd these are right around the range if not cheaper than some other forks on the market. So let’s break down the Pros and the Cons of the Thom Cat Fork.

PROS
Innovative Design
Extremely Durable and Strong
Great Axel Design
90 Day Bend/Break/Cracks Warranty

CONS
Only comes in Black
No option for threaded (Get with the times people, it’s time to try threadless!)


So that basically covers my reviews and in depth looks on the TSI Scepter Bars, and the Thom Cat Forks. TSI is not just about decks guys, I really think people gotta take notice to their other parts as well. They are not making the same old same old parts you see other companies putting out at a rapid rate. TSI is staying as innovative as possible with every new product they release, and that isn’t going to change anytime soon. I know that because the two people running TSI, Matt and KC are dedicated to this SPORT. Not to the money that goes into their pockets, but to the sport. So if you are interested in getting some of high quality parts for a good price then click the link below, and head over to TSI’s website. And for all your future news on TSI, and all updates and breaking news in the sport of scootering..Keep checking Inside-Scooters.


Check out some more pics from TSI, and of Matt aka Thom Cat shredding his TSI, Scepter Bars, and Thom Cat Fork!

16 comments:

  1. TSI is beyond legit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review IS, people gotta support the smaller companies like TSI also...sometimes its the smaller ones that makes the best parts

    ReplyDelete
  3. props to tsi but 80usd for a few bits of pipe welded together? a bit steep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No option for threaded (Get with the times people, it’s time to try threadless!)"

    LOL steven, like you have room to talk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spelt checking at the end wrong Steven!111!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Thanks Devon!

    and Jordan.........shhhhhh! I'm pro at threadless now nub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally spit coffee out my mouth laughing when i read STEVEN telling people to try threadless hahahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah yeah! Everyones sooo funny! On another note, I almost broke a Cane Creek S3 didn't know you're not supposed to hit the cups in with a hammer......dent city...

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol@ steven


    Really good review pretty in depth. Might give one of these parts a try now

    ReplyDelete
  10. can someone tell me if they fit 125mm?

    ReplyDelete
  11. anyone know what size the scepters are? I got some shipped as soon as I read this review(Thanks Steve!) and I'm hoping I won't need to dump my Quad clamp :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyone know more about Thom Cat and what they produced? I have a Tom Cat Clock and a figural Bank. It's a black cat in green overalls. Do you think he could be their mascot? Just says "Thom Cat" across his chest.
    email info to purrrr@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. just snapped mine:( only two months riding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got my thom cats and LOVE them they feel amazing to ride the only downfall is I can't find an axel the right size to ride my peg. But obviously it can be done just gotta go to Home Depot. But do you know what would be amazing if they had integrated star nuts. Then I would buy these forks eight pair at a time.

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!