Thursday, February 4, 2010

Who, What, Where, and Why with Ryan Upchurch

Without a doubt one of the most talented riders on the East coast. Ryan is an amazing park rider, with flair triples in his bag of tricks, and has even been trying double backflips. Ryan is one of the few riders in the sport who is completely dedicated not only to his riding, but is also always repping his sponsors, ECX, Eagle-Sport, and District as much as he can. I recently caught up with Ryan to do the 4 W's.




Who
Who is one rider you want to meet and sesh with in the future?

Ryan: One Person I've always wanted to ride with, that i haven't already, would have to be Benj Friant. He throws down harder then most people even realize. The kid is crazy, and seems like I could have a great time riding with him. Other than that, I'd like to ride with all the aussies. Especially the MGP team. All such good riders, and it'd be gnar just to ride with them for a day.

What
What do you prefer riding, park or street?

Ryan: I prefer Park to be honest. I like park because i can just go so high, flow around, and just ride real smooth. Street is just as good to me though. I ride wilmington and a few other places around me all the time. I actually can't ride in the city anymore after being warned by a bike cop that I'm now in the system, and could be arrested at any given time from now on. But yea, I still prefer park :)

Where
Where is your favorite spot to ride?

Ryan: My favorite spot to ride would have to be FDR skatepark in philly. A skatepark built by skaters in the dogtown days which I know ride on my scooter. Most of the riders there are insane although most arent riding scooters. They have their respect for me and I have my respect for them. It's all concrete with bowls, huge quarters, and some crazy rollers and vert walls. Best place I've ever ridden for sure.

Why
Why do you continue to ride scooters today?

Ryan: The fun of the sport. If it wasn't fun then I wouldn't be riding as we speak. I've always enjoyed it from the time i hopped on a scooter. Ever since then my favorite part about it has just been flowin around and goin as big and high as i can. Although I have my tech side for me it's mostly about goin big. Also, the adrenaline I get from it. Every time i almost case, or almost get that huge trick, it makes things just that much better. But the most important reason that I ride is to be with my friends, have a good time, and take some road trips. Sometimes the best part of riding is just getting there. So I enjoy every part of it, and plan to continue doing so for as long as i can. It just helps to know that I have ecx, eagle, and district behind me 100% of the way. So thanks, I wouldn't even be where I am without you guys. I wouldn't even be on a scooter. All things aside, I still ride for the fun in it.



Euro Day clips/throwaways from ryan upchurch on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. man that is such a lame excuse to not ride street, i seriously doubt that one bike cop is lurking around at every spot near you just waiting for you to show up so he can "throw you in jail". cops and security guards just say that crap to scare kids off, and clearly it worked on you. i respect that you ride park and everything cause park is sick but come on, thats such a weak excuse

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still ride there bro. it hasn't stopped me at all. I actually just filmed there a few days ago. I just like park better because personally i like smooth landings and big tricks. (not saying you can't do that on street. I just prefer it on ramps.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok. he is fairly good at street just from the one or two clips we see of it. but really. not many people can say that to him. maybe he enjoys park and going big and i really doubt your much better than him. so shush.

    anyone know how old he is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hes 15. and yeah park is his thing mostly, but really, in person you guys dont know how he throws down on street.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's 15, and he kills street, as well as park.
    -Nick Graham.

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!