Thursday, February 19, 2009

RAD Cory Mosbrucker Interview

[Editor's note: The following is the first part in a four part feature covering the Ride and Destroy (RAD) team.]

"We woke up early, most of us didnt even shower. We got some breakfast, and after we finished we all had our scooters in hand. We left the house and went to Woodinville skatepark, and from there it was to another spot, and than to another spot, and than another. When night finally fell, and everyone was dead tired, we finally went back to the Mosbrucker house. Only to wake up and do it all again the next day" This is the memory I have from when I stayed with the Mosbruckers for about 5 days a few years ago. Now for Jason De Lorenzo and I, this was something we didnt do very often. Although it became clear, that for the RAD crew, it was just another day in Woodinville, Washington.


The RAD Crew are known for their stylish riders, gnarly videos, and some of the best and the first, one piece bars to ever be available to the public, and there Team is nothing short of amazing. The RAD Team today is made up of simply three riders. However simple and small as that seems, dont let it confuse you. For those three riders, are Stan Smirnoff, Tyler Bonner, and Cary Mosbrucker. Now if you have half of a brain by now you've realized that this small team of three, is composed of three of the best in the world. Stan Smirnoff, someone who you sometimes need to rub your eyes and check again to make sure he is in fact, riding a scooter, not a bike, and airing that high. Tyler Bonner, who is honestly so consistent that you have a better chance of winning the lottery, before you see him mess up a trick. Last but not least, Cary Mosbrucker, someone who really needs no introduction. Simply see him in a park, see him on the streets, in a mini ramp, or anywhere else for that matter, and youll have the privelege of seeing one of the most naturally gifted riders, with one of the most natural styles ride a scooter. These three guys are going to be taking RAD to new heights in 2009 and beyond.


- Steven T.

Jordan Jasa from Inside-Scooters caught up with the RadSkootCo. Owner and Team Manager Cory Mosbrucker for an Interview.



Name:

Cory Mosbrucker

Location:

Bothell/Woodinville, WA. About 20 minutes from Seattle.

Years Riding:

I've rode bmx my whole life Skooted off and on Cary has rode Skoots for about 4-5 years i think and thats about how long we've been into it all.

When did the whole "RAD crew" idea start?

It was Alak Kittleson's snapped his deck (skateboard) and brought an old Skoot to the park. It's such an addicting sport that we all got hooked on it and decided to make a team just for somthing to do.

In the very beginning, whom did the team consist of?

Alak Kittleson, Cary Mosbrucker, David Nichols and myself.

Have there been any other members since then, that aren't on the team today?

Yeah we've been through a few different riders. People quit or move on. Thats the way it goes. Now I'm trying to hold the team down to Cary, Stan and Tyler because they are some of the very best, and I also want this team to be legit. I want to be able to afford taking the team to as many comps as possible. So three people is plenty haha.

Can you tell me about the first set of bars you ever made? Who were they for, were they painted, etc.

Yeah I made some for Cary, Alak, David and myself. We all just painted them to match our Skoot's. Each of us always just painted our own stuff. They weren't as nice at first but they were still MUCH better than the shitty stock bars we were all used to.

Would the Washington scene be as big as it is today without RAD?

I dont think so. I think we can be blamed for the hundreds of little goobers skootin around at Woodinville park. It seems like skooting is bigger than bmx at most the parks around here. haha theres nothing wrong with that though. We all want the sport to grow as much as possible. The bigger the sport gets the more we can do with it and the more fun we will have.

You pretty much ride bmx exclusively today, right? Do other bike riders ever give you sh-t for having ridden scooters, or for being involved with a scooter crew?

Nah I haven't ridden my bike since SD3 haha. idk I've been so busy lately and I always have so much shit in my car I just opt to skate. I dont own a skoot. Im waiting until I start making everything so I can just have a RAD skoot. Nobody gives me shit for any of that. I just do what I want anyways and I can show up 95% of bikers around here so I dont really give a shit about what anyone has to say.

RAD bars pretty much dominated the scooter handlebar market for a few years, until WEE's came along, and you guys seemed to kinda fade away from the scene. Did you think your bars would be so popular?

Nah at first we just made them for ourselves. When people at the park started asking for their own then I was like ohhh we should sell this stuff. And years ago people on SR wanted them too so thats when I first had thoughts of starting a company. And we started selling them over the internet too.

What do you think of your brother Cary being one of the best riders in the world? Or even the whole team, do you realize how good they all are?

Hahaha Yeah I do realise how good they are thats why they are on the team! Stan is the smoothess skooters I know and airs like mad. Cary just shreds the shit out of anything he rides. I think Cary is one of the most natural looking riders out there. He has full control and understands how to make things look like one fluid motion when hes riding. I think think Tyler is THE best skooter in the world right now. I cant wait for the vid so everyone can see just how fucked up he is. I watched him flair a 2 foot tall jersey barrier yesterday, and it didnt even have a bank going up to it...

Has RAD ever gotten local coverage, like in a newspaper?

Yeah years ago we got int the Woodinville weekly haha. Theres really not much going on In Woodinville ever so they needed somthing to fill the paper hahaha

You just unveiled a new site, where we can see that you will be selling complete scooters. What might those scooters include?

Oh well shittt. I didnt mean to put that section up yet but it shows anyways so whatever... It would be RAD - fork, bars, deck and compression. Integrated headtube. The rest will be other stuff. Just grips bar ends bearings and probably some eagle metal cores. We need to release all OUR stuff before that happens though. Next year I'm hoping to be selling the completes. I'm still going to try and get some micros on our site. Carys and Stan are on Micro so I think itd make sence for us to sell Micro stuff in the store too.

What other products can we expect from you in the future?

Well Hellhammer bars of course, then forks and compression is coming next. And after that its just decks. I dont really have plans for wheels of our own or anything. But we will sell wheels in the store.

Are you ever going to land that giant drop you tried in one of your BMX videos?

hahaha. idk. I will only do that again for one reason and I am keeping that reason to myself. :)

That'll do it. Any thanks?

I like to thank Steven T, You and whoever else is involved with IS. The sport needed a site like this.
SR, Micro, Eagle, Parents have been real helpfull and supportive of me starting this whole thing up as well.
Also I wanna thank GOD, Id never get anything done without his herb.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! It's sweet to see this! I grew up with Cory and Cary. I really had know Idea that Alak bring what at the time seemed to be a gay scooter to the park would be the beginning of something so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool my name is slam

    ReplyDelete

If you're going to bother to comment anonymously, think about what you're saying and what credibility you'll have without a name. Besides that, please keep the comments constructive, thanks!